A map of Mars purporting to show the planet’s oceans and land masses. 1884.
(source : Keiko Lynn )
things that could happen the day 1d comes to town
- you are in the front row at the concert and harry looks into your eyes and calls you pretty; you are so used to this because of your NATURALLY BEAUTIFUL FACE that you just smile bashfully and wave EVER SO SLIGHTLY at him; a bodyguard hands you harry’s phone number on a piece of paper and after your initial text to him, you receive dick pics from harry for the next two years
- you walk into a dive bar with harry styles; he wears a FLANNEL and RIPPED JEANS and a WIDE BRIMMED HAT and holes himself up in the corner with you to touch hands over garbage beer; he smiles as you drunkenly karaoke sing “WMYB” at the top of your lungs and then touches your thigh under the table afterwards because he is secretly VERY CHARMED by how you are actually a human garbage can and he furrows his brow and whispers “I’VE NEVER MET SOMEONE LIKE YOU BEFORE, YOU’RE SO CAREFREE”; he buys you a strawberita pounder
- you go backstage to meet everyone because your rich producer father knows someone who knows someone and you say something VERY FUNNY and VERY CHARMING to each boy while wearing a $4,000 coat and you effortlessly make everyone LAUGH; harry agrees to follow you on twitter and says “there’s just something about you” as you modestly bat your lush (but effortless) eyelashes at him; “was great to meet you! *bukowski quote*” harry will later tweet at you; you screenshot it and thousands of fans wonder who you are; you smile mysteriously and shake your naturally shiny head of hair
- you meet harry on the street and he is so enamored by your SMILE and SPARKLING EYES and CASUAL H&M CLOTHES that he presses his hotel room number into your hand on a torn piece of paper from his journal; he breathes “MEET ME, GORGEOUS” into your delicate and attractive ear; when you make your way upstairs to his ELEGANT YET UNDERSTATED hotel room, he already has champagne open, which he pours straight into your mouth; after BONING YOU ROUGHLY (BUT NOT TOO ROUGHLY), he FALLS ASLEEP on your chest with his SWEATY FARMER CURLS stuck to your skin
- harry looks at you at the concert, well maybe it’s you, maybe it’s the group behind you, maybe you imagined the whole thing, but in any case you faint onto the ground and never get up again [most plausible]
boston in july
thomas cadrin, 2014
Margaery, Drawn in SAI
a friendly fucking reminder that “proper” english is the english paid for and popularized by wealthy white men who could afford to write and publish books telling everyone What Proper English Is until everyone believed them
prescriptivist grammar and “proper” language is a made-up tool of privilege and oppression
have you ever wondered why it’s the groups in power (i.e. cis het wealthy white people) who speak “properly”
"proper english" is not an argument for anything, much less what pronouns someone is "allowed" to use or whether someone’s dialect is "grammatical" or "wrong"
and if you dont see that connection or actively make those claims then you are participating in oppression
and you should fucking feel bad
Shakespeare & Co. bookstore, Paris on Flickr.
Nature and Noise: Photography by Anna Marinenko
SIX FAVE SELFIES THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the idea of harry potter not only straddling two worlds between him (the british wizarding world and the british muggle world) but also being met at each end by two entirely different systems of historical dehumanization/subjugation (with harry on one hand being a half-blood in a society built on blood pedigree and on the other hand being black mixed-race in a society built on white supremacy) is at once extremely tragic and extremely compelling narratively
it’s also interesting that either status has a completely negligible effect within the opposite world (i.e. harry’s blood status means nothing in muggle britain and his race means nothing in wizarding britain)
mixed-race harry continues to rise to the top as the most narratively compelling interpretation of the text
okay, most of what i do re: harry potter is criticism, and hp is flawed in such a number of ways, but sometimes i just sit here and
i mean, you all have a comprehension of just how drastically harry potter changed literature, yeah? like. it revitalized it. it blew the literary scene apart. the new york times had to create a separate bestseller’s list for children’s lit just because harry potter existed. harry potter changed reading.
so many people on tumblr were born in the ’90s. when the first book came out, most of us couldn’t read. but we grew up in a world where everyone, everyone, everyone was reading harry potter, no matter how old they were; we grew up in a world where the most popular story in the entire world was a fantasy children’s book.
it’s sort of difficult to grasp, sometimes, the extent to which harry potter is not just a book. the extent to which what is basically a series of fun, interesting, and fairly good novels is such an enormous, enormous part of our lives, a cultural touchstone, a truly universal reference point, something so many people have shaped their lives around, a foundation for all of the stories we would read and watch for the rest of our lives— for so many of us, the first books we ever loved
the extent to which so many of us can’t call ourselves “fans” of harry potter, because it would like being a “fan” of, like, having lungs.
it’s not even about liking it or disliking it. it’s just a part of us.